Halite Home

Question About Overkill

On the strategy page (this), in the Combat Guide section, its written that "a single piece can deal damage to as many as 4 other pieces simultaneously". How is this possible? As I see it, say a piece moves one cell EAST, a maximum of only 3 other pieces can move to that cell.

If two pieces of the same owner move to a cell currently occupied by my piece, won't they combine by adding both their strengths? The damage to the combined pieces will be equal to the strength of my piece. In other words, how can the damage output be greater than the strength of my piece?

I was confused by this too. I reviewed the Game Rules page (here) and I noticed this part that I missed before:

"When pieces from opposing players try to occupy either the same or
cardinally adjacent sites (diagonals are not included), the battle will
be resolved according to the relative strengths of the pieces, as each
piece decreases the strength of every adjacent or coinciding opposing
piece by its own strength."

So a scenario where one piece damages 4 other pieces simultaneously would be if it gets surrounded on all sides by pieces owned by other players.

So a scenario where one piece damages 4 other pieces simultaneously would be if it gets surrounded on all sides by pieces owned by other players.

Exactly

On the strategy page (this15), in the Combat Guide section, its written that "a single piece can deal damage to as many as 4 other pieces simultaneously".

Isn't it possible for a single piece to damage as many as 5 opposing pieces? (one coinciding and 4 adjacent)

Isn't it possible for a single piece to damage as many as 5 opposing pieces? (one coinciding and 4 adjacent)

Not quite. At the start of a turn, enemies (not counting neutrals) are never next to each other.

So, to damage a coinciding piece, your piece must move; therefore to damage 5 pieces, an enemy must move to the square you just came from, which is impossible.